Time & Location
About The Event
HINOTORI Zendo celebrates Buddha’s birthday with a symbolic ritual of hand washing with the Hishaku (1) and Dharma talk. Washing your hands symbolises the bathing of the Buddha that You Are under all layers of your Ego.
Steps for a Ritual
While standing in front of the altar (2), carefully fill the ladle and pour water over your hands. At each pour chant the following:
- 1st wash: May I purify my mind and heart from toxic thoughts and emotions
- 2nd wash: May I purify my karma by cultivating good deeds
- 3rd wash: May I help all living beings in purifying their karma
State of mind during Ritual
- Faith – When we pour water over our hands, we also cleanse our own minds. We should be joyful and have faith that our good intention and act of purification will create significant merit.
- Trust - When purifying our inner Buddha, we should sincerely trust in the power of our won purity and cultivated merit, which will deepen our wisdom and unite us with all.
- Right Conduct – We should find strength in ourselves that will enable us to free ourselves from our karmic obstacles.
(1) Since this is a virtual event, prepare the following:
- A small pot of water (water is poured over your hands)
- A wider vessel that you can put your hands over while pouring water over it
- A small towel
(2) You can use table, chair, floor
To read more: https://www.urban-nun.com/hinotori-zendo-buddha-day
Please, note that details about schedule are adjusted to present situation.
After ritual a regular Zazen practice will take a place in the Virtual Zendo . If you want to join Zazen too, you would need to register in addition @ https://www.urban-nun.com/bookings-checkout/virtual-evening-zazen
- Buddha's BirthdayCHF0CHF00CHF0