The lectures are held by Doka Sensei (aka Dr. Maya Z Mikos), a realized teacher who is ordained in Soto Zen (Doka) and Shaolin Chan (Shi YanSa) lineages.
About the course
Wed, 8:00 pm to 8:40 pm
24.06.2020 – 23.07.2020
12.08.2020 – 16.09.2020
07.10.2020 – 11.11.2020
VENUE: Online. Please, register to receive a link for joining our Virtual Zendo.
CONTENT OF COURSE:
This program is designed for newcomers wishing to learn more about Zen practice. The program consists of a series of lectures and practical applications that address the basic and foundational aspects of Zen practice. The lectures are usually conducted over a period of between 5 to 6 evenings. Besides the foundational aspects of Zen, this course also addresses the applicative aspects of Zen with insights on how to anchor Zen practice into daily activities.
- Welcome, introductions
- What is Zen?
- Short overview of Zen history from India to China to Japan to Europe.
- Main differences between and within Zen schools
- Introduction to elements of Zen practice
- Establishing a personal practice routine
- Understanding the goals of Zen practice from the perspective of Zen monks, urban Zen practitioners, and psychotherapists.
- Different Zen practice methods and their applications
- Traditional vs. modern practice style
- Practice specific for Hinotori Zendo (Doka Sensei’s methods, mantra, simplicity…)
- Practical aspects of meditation practice, the type of distractions and how to deal with them
- The role of the teacher and the teacher student relationship
- Way of communication and guidance
- Dokusan and Dharma interview (one-on-one student-teacher) and its role in practice
- The degrees of a practitioner’s aspirations
- The degree of a practitioner’s maturity: karma and awakening
- Practice routine in HINOTORI Zendo
- Special features of Hinotori training and Sensei's teaching, short overview
- Start: Please, register in time. Zen practice attaches great importance to punctuality and respect
- Registration: After registering you will receive a Zoom link to Virtual Zendo
- Tuition: CHF 60.00 is recommended as a backup for the lecture series. If you cannot afford this, please contact the Zendo administration.